Housing Disrepair

Do you live in a rented property? Is your landlord a private, council or a social housing association? Is our home in a state of disrepair? Our Solicitors are here to help!

Landlords are obliged by law to ensure the property, which they rent to you, is habitable for you to live in.

Landlords are responsible for dealing with most of the repair problems. The landlord’s duty to undertake repairs is not only contained in your Tenancy Agreement but also under other areas of the Law.

If you have reported these issues to your landlord and they haven’t done anything, we can not only assist in getting the work done but you may also be entitled to compensation for the distress and inconvenience you have experienced.

We will ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve. This may also include compensation for damage to personal items damaged as a result of the disrepair in your home, such as clothing, bedding and other soft furnishings.

How can our solicitors help with your housing disrepair claim?

Our housing Solicitors understand how disruptive it can be when a landlord has refused to repair faults or hasn’t kept the house in a habitable condition, and the impact this can have for you and your loved ones. We will endeavour to get you quick results wherever possible. If you would like to speak to our specialised housing Solicitors please call 01274 036903 or request a call back online.

Why should you trust us to deal with your housing disrepair issues?

  • We can carry out a free initial assessment of your case
  • We can represent you in bringing a claim on a No Win No Fee basis
  • At Kingsgate Solicitors, our housing Solicitors understand how much a housing disrepair can affect you and your family’s quality of life. Therefore, we work to resolve it as soon as possible, putting your needs first.

Our housing Solicitors can help

Our housing solicitors have handled many cases where tenants have been treated unfairly and misinformed of their rights by their landlord.

Our housing solicitors do more than just help you claim compensation for disrepair. They can guide and support you when you have suffered and get you the justice you deserve.

Your Tenancy Agreement:

Your tenancy agreement is a contract between you and your landlord. You both have certain rights and responsibilities under that contract. Most written tenancy agreements set out the landlord’s obligations to undertake repairs.

Your landlord cannot pass on any of their responsibilities to you verbally or within a tenancy agreement. E.g. a term that said you were responsible for repairs to the roof wouldn’t have any force in law because roof repairs are your landlord’s responsibility.

The Landlords responsibility in Law:

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 imposes obligations on your Landlord to carry out repairs. Generally, it means that your landlord is responsible for keeping in repair:

  • The structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors, basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipe work
  • Water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.


There are no hidden charges when you use our services. As a regulated Solicitors firm, we work solely for you on a Conditional Fee Agreement ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

You have nothing to lose by establishing your right to claim, simply complete our claim enquiry form or speak to our experienced Solicitor for a free telephone consultation. 


You are required to give your landlord reasonable amount of notice before making a housing disrepair claim. Accordingly, if you notice disrepair in the property, you must first inform the landlord of this, this can be via phone, in person, by letter or E-Mail.

Depending on the disrepair, you must give your landlord reasonable amount of time to fix the issue. Understandably, the bigger the disrepair, the longer it will take.

Often our clients have made repeated complaints, sometimes over a number of months or years without the landlord taking any action.

You have six years from the date of disrepair (eg from the date water ingress occurred, or the roof leaked, or damp was found in the property) in which to make a claim for disrepair against a landlord.

Our housing Solicitor will ensure your case will ensure that this chronology is recorded and investigated with your landlord to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve and more importantly for the work to be completed on your property. 

If you are not sure if you meet the notice requirement, just give our housing Solicitors a call and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.


The amount of compensation you receive is dependent on the severity of the disrepair, how long you have suffered with the problems and how it has affected you and your family. The amount of compensation to which you are entitled may also depend upon the date you first notified your landlord of the problems.

Rest assured that our experienced housing Solicitors will fight your corner each step of the way to ensure that you receive the right level of compensation for your case.


You do not need to suffer in silence;

  • Contact our housing Solicitors, where we can carry out a free initial assessment of your case.
  • We will allocate you with an experienced housing Solicitor who will keep you up to date throughout.
  • Get a professional surveyor to complete an inspection of your property.
  • Get your landlord to carry out works.
  • Get you the compensation you deserve.